Portable, water ballasted longitudinal barrier for highways
- Features factory-installed metal reinforcement to the polyethylene barrier
- Ideal for use as a temporary barrier in work zones, construction zones or traffic control zones
- 350 Highway Barrier is 42” tall x 24” wide x 72” long
- Successfully crash-tested to ensure NCHRP 350 compliance in zones where vehicle speed limits are posted at 62 miles per hour or less
- Water filled polyethylene plastic barrier, with steel rail attachment, is approximately 275 pounds empty
- When in use with the minimum mandated 198 linear feet (33 barriers) requirement, the Guardian 350 Highway Barrier provides 47,000 pounds of car-stopping protection when water ballasted
- This steel reinforced portable barrier is available in the highly-visible “Safety Orange” color
- Can be set up without heavy lifting equipment
- Portability makes the 350 Highway Barrier also ideal for crowd control, entry/exit security, and traffic channeling.
The Guardian 350 Highway Barrier meets the requirements of the NCHRP (National Cooperative Highway Research Program) Report 350, “Recommended Procedures for the Safety Performance Evaluation of Highway Features” at Test Level 2 (70 km/hour, 43.5 mph) and Level 3 (100 km/hour, 62.1 mph)
About NCHRP Report 350 Test Levels…
Tests were conducted to evaluate longitudinal barriers (defined as “a device whose primary functions are to prevent vehicular penetration and to safely redirect an errant vehicle away from a roadside or median hazard”).
These tests were designed to evaluate one or more principal performance factors: structural adequacy, occupant risk, and post-impact behavior of a vehicle.
Two sections of 350 Highway barriers were examined: Length of Need (the part of the barrier designed to contain and redirect an errant vehicle) and Transition (the part of the barrier between and connecting sections of different lateral stiffness and/or differing design)
The Guardian 350 Highway Barrier meets Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 standards.
Level 1 : Vehicle speed of 50 km/hour (31 mph) impacting at angles of 20-25 degrees. Products qualifying at this level are deemed acceptable for some work zones, and very low-volume, low-speed local streets and highways.
Level 2 : Vehicle speed of 70 km/hour (43.5 mph) impacting at angles of 20-25 degrees. Products that qualify at this level are deemed acceptable for most local and collector roads and many work zones.
Level 3 : Vehicle speed of 100 km/hour (62.1 mph) impacting at angles of 20-25 degrees. It is to this level that most crash-tested safety features in use on U.S. highways have been qualified Highway barriers that qualify at this level are acceptable for a wide range of high-speed arterial highways.
WARNING: Some recent fabricators have made 350 claims without verifiable testing that may create unreasonable risk in the work zone. You may want to question test claims stemming from vague grandfather clauses for self certification.
Contact us if documentation is required confirming state acceptance of the Guardian unit at each vehicle speed level.